Frequently Asked Questions
We welcome your questions and hope to be able to reply to them in an informed and coherent manner. We have listed many of the questions we have been asked over the years below along with our answers. If we haven't answered your question below, please feel free to contact us.
Searching for anything in particular?
If the question fits, click the Highlighted title and you will see our answer.
Latest FIT rates
The DECC has re evaluated the FIT scheme and has held the current rate constant from last November. There will be another assessment in MAY 2013 but until then the rate will be held at 15.44p (up to 4KW).The new rate from 1st July 2013 will be 14.9p
Which Company to use?
With so many new companies offering solar energy, how do I know which is the best company to use?
Confused over Changes to the Feed in Tariff
Iím confused about the cost and the changes to the feed in tariff, can you explain this for me?
What is the difference between Mono-crystaline and Poly-crystaline PV Panels
Mono_crystaline Solar PV Panels are better performing per square meter but more expensive to manufacture per square meter than Poly-crystaline panels. See the "how it works" page
Are you able to service a Smart Energy water heating installation?
SolarUK can service virtually any solar energy system.
What is an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)
What are energy performance certificates and why are they needed
Is there a Feed in Tariff for solar heating?
The Renewable Heat Incentive(RHI)is a way of paying installers of Microgenerating equipment for the amount of heat energy they generate.
Can you put solar energy systems on a flat roof?
Yes. Most commercial and large scale solar electric systems are installed on flat roofs.
Is it possible to heat my home and my hot water using solar panels?
Heating water with solar energy is ideal as hot water is needed throughout the year, both when the sun is high and therefore most likely provides all the heating required, and when it is low and helps top up the heating.
After a while, do solar vacuum tube systems lose their vacuum?
This depends on the quality and design of the system.
Examples of SolarUK's work
SolarUK have been installing solar energy systems for many years, examples of our systems can be seen by clicking on the links below. These range from large scale commercial systems through to smaller domestic installations.
List of case studies
- Solar Photovoltaic installation on self build in Kent
- Domestic solar thermal installation, Thornton Heath
- Planet Energy Solutions: Solar PV and Solar Thermal
- Nunnington Hall, A National Trust property with Solar Water Heating
- Photovoltaics: Solar PV installation, Bedfordshire
- Photovoltaics for a family home, East Sussex
- Solar Powered Bird Scarer, SolarUK provides the Energy!
- Killick House, the largest (when installed) solar water heating system in the UK.
- Orbis Energy: Eco Building, Lowestoft
- Leatherhead: Police Federation Building
- Oval Road: Communal Solar Heating
- Sheffield Hallam University - Solar Thermal and Photovoltaic (PV)
Alternatively, have a look at our image gallery, all images show examples of SolarUK installations and equipment.